Sunday, September 18, 2016

End of an era








It's been four weeks since the new term started and boy it's been tough trying to get into a routine after eight weeks vacation. I've been able to complete just two new knitted garments in this time, a cardigan and a scarf.  I haven't been able to knit every day since returning to work, so I suppose it's better than nothing.  The garment in the photograph is Audrey in Unst by Gudrun Johnstone, and the other garment which will appear in a separate post once washed and blocked is Scroll Lace Scarf by Ysolda. The yarn used for Audrey is the discontinued yarn Jaeger Baby Merino 4ply which has been sitting in my stash for eternity and was bought from a store in Stirling called McAree Brothers.  Sadly they will be closing their doors next weekend after trading in the city since 1878.  How sad is that! Customers buy school uniforms, have badges embroidered; they sell wool, sewing equipment, craft items; you name it they source what you need. I'm not sure of the circumstances of their closure, but there are rumblings that the Council keep raising the unit rates, and businesses are struggling to keep up.  A very sorry state of affairs, you would think an institution that has been trading for that length of time would be given some leeway.  Anyway,  I can't talk about it any longer as I'm so gobsmacked that they won't be there anymore. So, back to the cardigan pattern, it's wonderful to knit up and easy to follow, my only gripe- I wish the lace part was bigger.  I got a bit bored with all the stockinette stitch but loved the twisted rib on the waist and cuffs and the i-cord bind off around the neck. I can't wait to block this beauty and wear it when the weather turns colder.

Talking about the weather, I've been in the garden a few times since returning to work.  I've been busy prepping for the Autumn and clearing down spent plants; taking cuttings, harvesting seeds and looking after plants that will live until Winter. I think this year I've excelled myself; my garden has given me a lot of work and joy this year not only in display; colour but in produce too. My carrots are still growing, so I've just been picking ones that are a decent size. I've had a fairly good crop and will be planting these, peas and potatoes next year.


                                                                         xoxo xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Your cardigan is looking brilliant. Isn't it rubbish when shops like that shut? We had a great independant department store in Belfast, and it closed over 20 years ago, but I still miss the habadashery department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lynne. I can't wait to wear this Cardigan but I'm thinking it's more geared to colder weather, so I don't want that turning up too soon. I'm going to miss this store in a big way, they will still have the online store side and their Edinburgh store but that's not the same as seeing and feeling the merchandise before you buy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you enjoyed your stay. It would make my day if you left a comment! xxx